So, with my website ready to go live I was having a think about how to define coaching to my readers and coachees. I came up with my own explanation but thought I might share with you a little of what others have to say about it….
- “A process that enables learning and development to occur and thus performance to improve. To be a successful a Coach requires a knowledge and understanding of process as well as the variety of styles, skills and techniques that are appropriate to the context in which the coaching takes place” (Eric Parsloe, The Manager as Coach and Mentor (1999) page 8. Eric is a respected author and Director of the OCM)
- “Coaching is a useful way of developing people’s skills and abilities, and of boosting performance. It can also help deal with issues and challenges before they become major problems” (www.mindtools.com)
- “Unlocking a person’s potential to maximize their own performance. It is helping them to learn rather than teaching them” (Whitmore 2003)
- “The role of a Life coach is to help others to bridge the gap between where they currently are to where they would like to be. A Life Coach achieves this by supporting and encouraging others to fulfil their potential, achieve their personal goals and make the most of their lives.” (The Coaching Academy)
- “A professional partnership between a qualified coach and an individual or team that support the achievement of extra-ordinary results, based on goals set by the individual or team” (ICF, 2005)
- “Coaching is about developing a person’s skills and knowledge so that their job performance improves, hopefully leading to the achievement of organisational objectives. It targets high performance and improvement at work, although it may also have an impact on an individual’s private life. It usually lasts for a short period and focuses on specific skills and goals” (CIPD 2009)
- “A collaborative solution-focused, results-orientated and systematic process in which the coach facilitates the enhancement of work performance, life experience, self-directed learning and personal growth of the coachee.” (Association for Coaching)
- “Coaching is an effective method of helping people unlock their full potential and achieve the results and successes they are looking for.” (Chloe Delaunay 2017)
No matter how big or small your goal, your coach can help to guide you, support you or give you that gentle nudge in the right direction. If you need help or guidance with tackling your challenges, clarifying your goals or pushing yourself forward just get in touch.